How to Get Started
Students planning to transition to the SLC campus for the following semester must register first by clicking here:
Attend the mandatory SLC Information Session.
By registering, students will be added to the mandatory Canvas Transition course and will receive ongoing emails about the process.
Have questions? Email Anna Yacovone or visit her office (u206) for walk-in advising Monday –Wednesday 1-4pm.
Students who are not US citizens or permanent residents are required to apply for an F-1 visa to enter and study in the US.
To apply for an F-1 visa, students must first apply for an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility. To apply for an I-20, review the steps listed on the Year in SLC Transition Checklist.
Once students receive their I-20, they can apply for an F-1 visa at the US embassy. To do this, students must carefully follow the steps listed in the Canvas course.
- On or Off Campus
- Many UAC students choose to live on-campus to maximize their experience in SLC.
- The majority of housing options are located on upper campus, but there are HRE options to live off-campus:
- Downtown Commons 1 and 2
- U of U at Block 44o
- If you decide to live off-campus and not through the university, be sure to carefully read your Rental Lease/agreement. If you move out or cancel your lease early, you may be responsible for paying cancellation fees or owing rent.
- Which housing option should I choose?
- This depends on your personal and financial needs. Options vary in number of roommates and space. Typically, the more roommates, the cheaper your options are.
- Can I request a roommate?
- Yes, you can do this on your Housing application.
- How do I apply?
- You apply online through your CIS account. Click here to learn more.
- Payment options
- Your housing will be added to your student tuition bill (see the tuition payment module for more information).
Every semester SLC-bound students will be able to attend a Zoom Q&A with the Director of Housing & Residential Education Rachel Aho. This is a great opportunity to ask questions about living on campus.
After submitting the Campus Transition form, the SLC Registrar's office will switch you from UAC to SLC status (this will occur before the registration window opens).
Your registration date and time will depend on your class rank and credit hours (note: students are grouped in batches of 400 at the SLC campus for assigned times, so it’s possible that students with the same class rank/credit hours have different registration times ).
To view your registration date/time:
- Log in to your CIS account and click on the Registration tile, then click View Your Registration Dates.
- You’ll see multiple dates. Your assigned date and time is under EnrollmentAppointments, Regular Academic Session (the very first date/time listed). See example below (note, your date/time will be different than the example below):
International students can pay the full amount of tuition via Flywire.com
Click here to read more about Flywire.com options (can be done via bank transfer or debit/credit card)
Can also pay in installments
$35 nonrefundable fee to enroll in payment plan
Must enroll each semester
UAC students are eligible to apply for SLC-bound scholarships each semester.
Check this page in October for more information when the scholarship opens.
The SLC Pre-Departure Orientation is mandatory. Students who do not attend will receive a hold on their account.
Topics we will cover:
- Culture shock
- Social identities in Utah, the US, and abroad
- Final preparation
- Plan early. Work with your academic advisor to organize when would be the optimal time to transition.
- Embrace flexibility
- Build resilience
- Be proactive
- Don’t procrastinate, manage your time and follow deadlines
- Refer to Canvas, the SLC websites (or use Google J)
- Trust the process
- When should I transition to the SLC campus?
It depends. There is not a minimum number of credits students need to transition, but students should plan ahead and determine when is the best time in terms of course availability and to stay on track to graduate.
- What is the 90 credit policy?
Once students have reached 90 UAC credits, they are no longer to enroll in courses at the UAC.
- I’m not sure where to begin. Who should I contact?
Students can email Anna to schedule an appointment (firstname.lastname@example.org) or visit the Student Leadership & Involvement Center between 1 and 4pm Monday – Wednesday for walk-in SLC advising.
Students transitioning to SLC are required to attend the SLC info session and the final pre-departure orientation.
The Student Leadership & Involvement Center will offer optional info sessions on the following topics:
- Applying for an F-1 Visa
- Preparing for life in the US: Academics, Culture, and More
- How to have Fun, Embrace, and Maximize Your Year in SLC