Immigration Information

Non-Korean Citizens: Studying at the Utah Asia Campus

Non-Korean citizens are required to have a student visa to study in Korea for more than 90 days. Though the process is not difficult, there are a few important steps to be aware of as you prepare to study here. To apply for your visa, the following documents must be submitted to the Korean Embassy or Consulate in your country:

  • Valid passport
  • Visa application form
  • Two passport-sized photos (3.5 cm x 4.5 cm)
  • Processing fee (currently $80 for multiple-entry)
  • Proof of admission from the Utah Asia Campus
  • Most recent certificate of school record
  • Financial verification showing at least $12,000 in a domestic bank account or certificate of currency exchange
  • Family registry (applies to Chinese citizens only—must include whole family)

Non-U.S. Citizens: Your Year in Salt Lake City

Non-U.S. citizens will be required to obtain a student visa in order to study at the Salt Lake City campus. It is important to plan ahead to ensure that your transition to the United States goes as smoothly as possible. Our expert university staff will be there to assist you with the process, which will start during the semester prior to your arrival in Salt Lake City. Below are the steps you will go through to successfully complete the visa application process, which will start in the semester before you transition to the United States.

  1. I-20 Issuance

The University of Utah will issue your I-20 document, confirming your information and eligibility to enroll at the university. This is not your visa. In order to issue your I-20 we need to receive several things:

  • A financial statement showing a minimum of $39,350 in liquid funds. This account must have been in the account holder’s name for at least six months.
  • A signed statement from any sponsor providing financial support declaring that person’s intent to financially support you for an entire year of tuition and living expenses.
  • A copy of the first page of your current passport or national ID card.
  1. Online Visa Application and Interview Scheduling

You must submit an online nonimmigrant visa application (form DS-160) must be submitted, and you must print and keep the barcode. You will then be able to schedule a visa interview through the U.S. Embassy’s website in your home country. The visa application processing fee is $200.

  1. Visa Interview

    You will need to contact the U.S. Embassy in your country to apply for your visa. You should contact your embassy to find out about wait times and determine how far in advance you must schedule your appointment. Typically, you will need to bring the following items to your interview:

  • DS-160 barcode page (this is from your visa application)
  • Receipt/proof of payment of processing fee
  • I-20 form
  • Valid passport
  • Passport-style photo
  • Financial documents proving that your I-20 information is accurate
  • University of Utah notice of admission
  • Information on your degree program and how you intend to use your degree when you return home
  • Evidence of ties to your home country such as family, career, or property. Your visa can be denied unless you can prove that you intend to return home.
  1. Arrival in the U.S.

    You may not arrive in the U.S. more than 30 days before your program start date, which will be listed on your I-20 form. When you arrive at your port of entry in the United States, you will have your fingerprints recorded and a photo taken. You will need to present the following documents:

  • Passport
  • Visa
  • I-20 form
  • Proof of SEVIS payment
  • Complete I-94 form (arrival and departure record)