Meet our Staff
Working closely with the Academic Advising Center will help you access resources for your education and help you achieve your academic goals.
At the Academic Advising Center, there are two Advisors and peer advisors(PA) for your majors to serve UAC students.
SuHyen Heather Um, M.Ed.
Sr. Undergraduate Student Advisor
Civil Engineering, Communication, Film & Media Arts Advising ONLY
Heidi Kim, MBA.
Undergraduate Student Advisor
PSYCHOLOGY, URBAN ECOLOGY, ELETRICAL ENGINEERING AND COMPUTER ENGINEERING ADVISING ONLY
TEXTBOOK ORDER & DISTRIBUTION
NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION & PLACEMENT TEST
- Click “Book An Appointment” under the adivsors or go to the web page: https://utahasia.mywconline.com/
- Create your login ID and pass words: make sure you use your UID
- Login with your UID and passwords
- Select drop down menu of “Academic Advising Center”
- Select the advisor you are willing to meet
- Select the time that you are available in white box
- Type your UID, phone number, and the topic you would like to talk about with your advisor
- Appointment is set!
- Be on time for the appointment in U202
*Walk-ins are available to meet with peer advisors
- Listen attentively to your questions and concerns, and maintain confidentiality.
- Respect your unique interests, abilities, and circumstances.
- Help you explore a variety of academic options that support your personal and career interests.
- Explain general education requirements.
- Explain the various Communication/Psychology/Film and Media Arts/Urban Ecology degree requirements.
- Assist you in building an appropriate class schedule.
- Refer you to appropriate campus resources as needed.
- Help you learn how to search out answers for yourself.
- Make decisions for you. Choices you make about courses to take or what to major/minor in must be yours, since the results of those decisions affect your future.
- Clear you for graduation. While the Undergraduate Advising Services can help you plan your courses to meet graduation requirements and sign graduation papers, you are responsible for making sure that you have met the requirements. The graduation office has the final authority in determining when you have satisfied all of the requirements for your degree.
- Generate and bring a Degree Dashboard.
- Compile a list of your questions. Questions are encouraged! Let us know when you need assistance with classes, ways to get involved, or even personal health concerns.
- Ensure your AP, IB and concurrent enrollment credits (if you have them) have been posted.
- Be prepared for advising sessions by bringing appropriate documents, making a list of questions and planning a tentative schedule.
- Honestly communicate your unique interests, abilities, and circumstances with your advisor.
- Take responsibility for achieving your success and accepting the consequences of your academic and personal decisions.
- Meet with your advisor regularly, we recommend meeting with an advisor every semester.
- Make sure that your AP, IB and transfer credits have been transferred to the U for evaluation.
- Arrive for your appointment on time. If you need to cancel, please let us know ASAP to allow us to assist other students needing appointments.
Go to Index --> Major Declaration --> Your Major
Or follow this link
Reasons to declare your major:
- You must declare a major to graduate (Note: Pre-Majors need to declare)
- Declaring a major early may save your time and money
- Establishes a catalog year (This means your major requirements won’t change for 5 years)
- Once you declare a major, you could qualify for departmental scholarships
- Declaring helps your departmental advisor assist you with graduation
- You will avoid getting a hold that prevents future registration (Undeclared students with 60+ credits will receive a hold that prevents class registration)
Meet Your Peer Advisors 2019
UAC Peer Advisor Program
It is our mission as PAs to assist students by the following:
- Giving students correct information
- Being professional and courteous
- Supporting the students' academic development and achievement at the UAC
The goals of this program are to...
- Increase student satisfaction
- Contribute to a thorough student support system
- Develop meaningful connections between new and more experienced students
- Help students build self-esteem as well as self-confidence
Benefits of being a Peer Advisor
The PA program is a great benefit to our freshmen students, but also provides many learning and growth opportunities for the Peer Advisors. Once you become a Peer Advisor, with the suppoert from the Academic Advisor and the fellow PAs, you will be able to...
- Enhance your leadership and coaching skills
- Become more actively involved at the UAC community
- Contribute to the intellectual and personal growth of students
- Enhance your problem solving skills
- Improve your communication skills
- Establish positive relationships with the Academic Advisor and your major's faculty
In addition, the PA position will look great on a resume and provides great talking points during an interview to discuss times when you led others, overcame a problem, or had to engage in difficult conversations.
PAs that go above and beyond their work can also ask the Academic Advisor for a letter of recommendation when applying to graduate school or jobs.
**Notice for PA position will be annouced if there are vacant places for PA positions!
Current Peer Advisors
Film & Media Arts
film & media Arts
Film & Media arts
FILM & MEDIA ARTS
Sangji Kim - FILM AND MEDIA ARTS PA
My name is Sandy (Sangji) Kim and I am the Peer Advisor of Film and Media Arts major. As a UAC student myself, I am aware of the issues that students face in terms of academics. Whether you are a Film major student or not, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or problems regarding academics!
I am open to any student and willing to help you within my ability. Thank you!
Haeun Kim - COMMUNICATION PA
Hello everyone. My name is Grace (Haeun) Kim and I am the Peer Advisor of Communication.
By being a part of the Peer Advisors, I am well informed of issues that UAC students might face in terms of academics. So, even if you are not in Communication major, feel free to ask me questions about problems you are facing!
I am very excited to help you and hope you could have a good start with peer advisors. Thank you.
Yeonjae Kim - CIVIL ENGINEERING PA
Hello everyone! My name is YeonJae Kim. I am the Peer Advisor of Civil & Environmental Engineering major.
As a Peer Advisor, I can help you explore various academic options that support your
Feel free to contact me if you need any help. Even if you are not in CVEEN, it is fine to ask any questions.
I will try my best to help you.
Taeyoung Lee - FILM AND MEDIA ARTS PA
I am Tatum lee and I am your Peer Advisor of Film and Media Arts major.
As the same UAC student like you, I can understand your academic concerns more. Feel
free to contact me when you need someone to talk to, and share your concerns with
Any majors are welcomed! I’ll do my best.
Dongyoung Mok - PSYCHOLOGY PA
My name is Dong Young Mok, and I am the Peer Advisor for the Psychology major. Throughout years of being a college student, I am well aware of the difficulties students face. I hope to use my knowledge and experience to support you to meet your needs and to achieve success.
Feel free to contact me with any questions. I would like to help as much as possible.
Eunji Hyun - URBAN ECOLOGY PA
My name is Eunji (Blaire) Hyun and I am the Peer Advisor of Urban Ecology major.
I have dreamed of studying urban design and the ecosystem since I was 17. So if you are interested in Urban Ecology, I'm ready to listen to your academic concerns and I want to help you with the information that I collected so far.
Whether you are in Urban Ecology major or not, You are always welcome if you want to talk about your questions or your academics!
Seoyeon Kang - COMMUNICATION PA
My name is Seo Yeon Kang and I am currently taking a role of the peer advisor of communication major.
As a peer advisor, I can help you with all kinds of academic matters that make you struggle in. I will always keep my ears open to support you as a best listener. So don’t hesitate to ask me a question whether you are a communication major or not.
Best wishes for your UAC life!
Heejae Kim - FILM & MEDIA ARTS PA
My name is HeeJae Kim and I am the Peer Advisor of
Film and Media Arts major. I can help your
academic problems as a PA. Also I can be your friend!
If you have any problem of academic issue, feel free to contact me via umail, kakaotalk and
face to face.
Have a good day.
Seon Park - FILM & MEDIA ARTS PA
My name is Sunny Seon Park. I am a peer advisor of Film and Media Arts major and currently a sophomore.
I am ready for helping students who have a question regarding academics and daily life in UAC. If you have any question, do not hesitate to visit on my office hour or send message to my kakao talk. Peer advisor's office hour is open for everyone who need our help.
Chanbin Lee - URBAN ECOLOGY PA
My name is Chanbin Lee, and I am the peer advisor of Urban Ecology major.
I would like to help with your academic concerns and personal interests you may face in this campus. I hope the information I have can support your career, and your academic concerns may get better with my assistance.
I would be pleased to be questioned. Please do not hesitate! Thank you!